Sunday, May 07, 2006

New pictures of old items

Due to the relisting of old items on Etsy, some of my older items came to the front of my store. When I was first posting on etsy, I had dark, blurry, and overall bad photos. This was the result of having a fairly low quality camera and living in an apartment (it's nearly impossible to get good light). I did the best I could at the time, and since then my photos have gotten worlds better. I did not like having such horrid pictures being front and center of my page, especially when they were taking the place of some fabulous ones. So I sat down this weekend and re-took some photos of some of my older items. They turned out fabulous, so I thought I'd share them with you here.

Silver Twist
silver twist

Ancient Silver
ancient silver

Crossing Greens
crossing greens

Discotheque
discotheque

Heart Felt
heart felt

I don't have these earrings re-listed, but I may do so in the future. If you're interested, feel free to comment and I can re-list them for ya!

Summer Lovin'
summer lovin'

Jade Swing pendant and earrings
jade swing pendantjade swing earrings

That's it for new photos! I'm almost done on my new squid, only two more details to go, and then I'll post him! He's turning out so fabulous!

~Sarah

12 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

These look great! I'm having to work on my lighting issues. Jewelry is hard to photo sometimes because of flashing problems. Either it's too bright, too blurry, too dark, or too of anything else. But, practice makes perfect!

Are you going to give a hint about the new squid? ( this is me grinning ridiculously ) :)

1:05 AM  
Blogger Carol Dean Sharpe said...

Fabulous is right. These pix are wonderful showcases for your work. I just got a new camera; now I just need to find the time to practice, practice, practice.

10:29 AM  
Blogger BeadGal Designs said...

Jewelry is definitely hard to photograh! The steps I took to get my better photos are not terribly difficult to do.
First, take all your photos outside. No matter how hard I tried, I could never get artificial light to look right, even with correction through photoshop.
Second, make sure all light on your item is diffuse. What this means is not taking photos in direct sunlight and doing everything you can to avoid using your flash, which probably sounds a bit counter to your intuition. I've found that the flash creates all those headachy reflections and that color "glow" that I can't figure out how to edit out.

To keep from direct sunlight, either place your item in a frosted/semi-opaque rubbermaid/plastic bin or take it in your indirectly lit porch/patio/sun room. Keeping the flash off is harder. I have yet to figure out how to turn the flash off on my camera, so I just make sure to take photos when it's light out enough to keep it from going off.

If you can't go outside, make sure you use lots and lots of full spectrum bulbed lamps and aim the light through a diffuser (rubbermaid bin/sheet/tissure/etc.) to keep it from being direct.

Just doing those things has made a world of difference in my photos! The only way I touch my photos up these days is color correction (telling the editor which color is white) and brightness/contrast.

and thank you so very much! You both will get to the point where you're taking fabulous photos. All it takes is some practice and the willingness to keep on plugging away at it!

~Sarah

5:12 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Your pictures are amazing! I love "ancient silver". Are those gem stone beads, or ceramic? They look like they could be glazed.

7:35 PM  
Blogger BeadGal Designs said...

they are ceramic! I love these beads so much! I found them for a great deal and cleaned the store out! My hording instincts are very strong! tee hee

~Sarah

7:41 PM  
Blogger blissful said...

Fabulous pictures!

7:29 PM  
Blogger Cornellian said...

The first one is really pretty- was that in your shop before?

9:55 PM  
Blogger BeadGal Designs said...

thank you queena and yes, all these bracelets were in my shop. They, however, did not have pictures that truly portrayed their look. The pic for the first one was actually one of the best of the old photos, but it still was not as clear and beautiful as this one.

~Sarah

11:16 PM  
Blogger BeadGal Designs said...

thanks! the sunshine definitely helps! good luck with your photos!

~Sarah who loves the ! today

12:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How gorgeous! PERFECT pictures - the reflections and everything showcase your works wonderfully!

there are so many talented jewelers on the ring!

*runs to add you to favs*

4:37 PM  
Blogger BeadGal Designs said...

awwww, thank you! I can't say I planned everything out, I just posed everything and took the photos. I'm just so tickled pink that everything turned out so pretty! thank you again!

~Sarah

9:49 PM  
Blogger AmysBabies said...

those are so beautiful. I think I might try some of your tips for my next set of photos

2:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home